Write Your Novel from the Middle
A new approach for plotters, pantsers, and everyone in between
James Scott Bell
Live on Feb. 9, 2022, or watch recording
Beginning to intermediate novelists
Closed captions by Otter; transcript provided with recording
What if it’s not the beginning or the end of your book that’s the key to a successful story? What if, amazing as it may seem, the place to begin writing your novel is in the very middle?
Based on his bestselling writing book Write Your Novel from the Middle, James Scott Bell will teach you a unique method for crafting a powerful, unified novel by way of the “mirror moment”—a crucial beat that happens right in the middle of great and enduring stories. You can gain the power of this moment at any stage of the writing process.
Bringing together years of craft study and personal discovery, Bell offers an approach to writing your novel that will stand the test of time and serve you all of your writing life.
In this 60-minute class on Feb. 9, you’ll learn:
- How to discover the true heart of your novel so every page pulsates with meaning
- How to determine the pre-story psychology for your main character
- What is meant by transformation, and how to “prove” it at the end
- Why you need to know your character’s death stakes (physical, professional, or psychological)
- The fundamentals of richer, multi-layered stories that don’t have to be more complicated
- How to avoid the sagging middle that plagues most stories
- The golden triangle method of plotting
Bell will offer examples of the mirror moment in popular stories, which will help you identify your own main character’s story arc. By the end of this class, you’ll approach story structure in an entirely new way.
Who should take this class
- Seat-of-the-pants writers who tend to get lost as they write
- Writers who wish they could outline more, but are nervous about it
- Those who can write “pretty good” novels but want to kick their work up to the next level of reader engagement
What’s included in all of Jane’s classes
How do I attend the live class?
This class uses Zoom webinar technology (see system requirements). You will join through your Internet-connected computer or mobile device. When you register, you will receive information via email on how to join the class. If you don’t receive it within 1 hour of registering, please contact us.
- When: Wednesday, Feb. 9, 2022
- Time: 1–2 p.m. Eastern / 10:00 a.m. Pacific
- Fee: $25
The webinar is broadcasted via the internet with live audio delivered through your computer or mobile device speakers. The visual presentation is displayed directly from the presenter’s computer to your computer screen. The Q&A is managed through a chat-style submission system with questions read and answered by the presenter for the entire class to hear.
Closed captions are provided during the live class. We use Zoom’s automated closed caption service (powered by Otter), which is about 80%+ accurate. We also use Otter AI to generate an unedited transcript, provided with the recording.
About the instructor
James Scott Bell is a winner of the International Thriller Writers Award and the author of the #1 bestseller for writers, Plot & Structure (Writer’s Digest Books). He attended the University of California, Santa Barbara where he studied writing with Raymond Carver, and received his law degree from the University of Southern California. He served as fiction columnist for Writer’s Digest and has presented his fiction workshops all over the world.
This book revolutionized my writing! I use it for every novel I write. Highly recommended!
USA TODAY BESTSELLING AUTHOR
I need three things before I tackle a new novel: Diet Coke, a laptop, and my dog-eared copies of James Scott Bell’s books on writing craft!
#1 NYT TIMES & INTERNATIONAL BESTSELLING AUTHOR
Time well spent. I expect Jim’s teaching to inform my writing for years.
Jerry B. Jenkins
#1 NYT TIMES BESTSELLING AUTHOR
All students receive the following
- Access to the live class. After roughly 45 minutes, Jim will take questions during class using in-class chat/text. The class will end after roughly 60 minutes.
- A recording of the class—audio and video. This is especially helpful if you have a conflict with the class time or something comes up and you can’t make the session. Each registration comes with access to the archived version of the program and the materials for 30 days. You do not have to attend the live event to access the recordings.
- Presentation slides. All participants receive a copy of the slide presentation in PDF form.
- Rough transcript. We use Otter to create an automated transcript of the entire webinar, which we’ll share with you in addition to the audio and video recording.
Event Attendance & Anti-Harassment Policy
We strive to provide an environment where all present—whether attendee, presenter, or staff—can feel supported. In order to ensure a welcoming event, here is what we expect from all who participate.
- That the presenter and the presenter’s work be treated with respect by attendees and that all attendees treat each other with respect and a generosity of spirit.
- That attendees will refrain from harassment of any sort including (but not limited to) comments or questions of a racist, homophobic, sexist/sexual, or threatening nature. This includes actions that disrupt or interfere with anyone’s ability to participate. Offenders will be disconnected from the live event.