Sorry, this class has ended and the recording is only available to registrants. If you'd like to know when this class is offered again, sign up here.
Kick your inner critic to the curb with the use of mindfulness!
In this 60-minute webinar on Feb. 12, you’ll learn how a mindful approach to the writing process can enhance creativity, boost productivity, and help you effectively self-edit. We’ll talk about the basics of building a mindfulness practice, the best meditations and practices for each stage in the writing process, and how mindfulness can help you write more authentically and enter states of flow.
Taught by Lisa Ellison, an experienced and supportive writing instructor and coach, you’ll spend time in the present moment during the session and learn easy techniques for staying there during your writing practice.
This live program answers questions like:
- What is mindfulness and how do I practice it?
- Why should writers practice mindfulness?
- Who is this internal critic anyway, and why does s(he) keep sabotaging my work?
- Which mindful practices will help me write more frequently and freely?
- How can I use mindfulness to self-edit more effectively?
- How else can mindfulness support my writing career?
All participants will receive a copy of Lisa’s ten tips for developing a mindful-writing practice along with one guided meditation designed specifically for writers.
Who should take this course:
All writers, including but not limited to:
- Nonfiction writers
This class is perfect for writers and authors looking to boost their productivity, enter states of creativity flow, or write with greater authenticity.
How does this webinar work?
This online class uses Zoom webinar technology. You will join through your Internet-connected computer or mobile device. When you register, you will receive information via email on how to join the class. (If you don’t receive it within 10 minutes of registering, please contact us.)
- When: Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2020
- Time: 1–2 p.m. Eastern Standard Time / 10 a.m. Pacific Time
- Fee: $2o
The webinar is broadcasted via the internet with live audio delivered through your computer or mobile device speakers. The visual presentation is displayed directly from the presenter’s computer to your computer screen. The Q&A is managed through a chat-style submission system with questions read and answered by the presenter for the entire class to hear.
About the instructor
Lisa Ellison is an editor, writing coach, and speaker with an Ed.S in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and a background in mindfulness. She has spent the last two decades helping clients and students turn difficult experiences into art and currently teaches courses in memoir, creative nonfiction, and mindful writing practices.
Author of the forthcoming book How to Write About What Keeps You Up at Night without Staying up All Night: A Self-Care Guide for Writing about Trauma, Lisa’s life story and essays have appeared on NPR's With Good Reason, and in Hippocampus Literary Magazine, Kenyon Review Online, Huffington Post, and The Guardian, among others. To learn more, check out her website.
It’s easy to see from the outset that Lisa is genuine and generous, and puts those traits to work in everything she does.
Lisa is both an accomplished teacher and very talented practitioner of mindful writing. She is a very capable, empathic and insightful writing teacher, who creates and sustains a safe, warm space for students to learn and become successful mindful writers themselves.
[Lisa offers] excellent instruction and a personal commitment to mindfulness. She knows her discipline and can convey information from personal experience as well as scholarship in the field. Encouraging!
You receive the following:
- Access to the 60-minute interactive class. Around the 45-minute mark, Lisa will take questions using in-class chat/text. The class will end after roughly 1 hour.
- A recording of the class—audio and video. This is especially helpful if you have a conflict with the class time or something comes up and you can’t make the session. Each registration comes with access to the archived version of the program and the materials for 30 days. You do not have to attend the live event to get a recording of the presentation.
- Rough transcript. We use Otter to create an automated transcript of the entire webinar, which we’ll share with you in addition to the audio and video recording.
- Presentation slides. All participants receive a copy of the slide presentation in PDF form.
- One guided meditation for writers. In addition to receiving a copy of Lisa’s ten tips for developing a mindful-writing practice, afterward you'll receive one guided meditation designed specifically for writers.
Sorry, but refunds are not offered unless the webinar is canceled or rescheduled. All registrants receive access to the recording even if they are unable to attend. Have questions? You can contact us here.
System Requirements to Join the Webinar
We will be using Zoom webinar technology.
- An internet connection: broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE)
- Speakers: built-in or USB plug-in or wireless Bluetooth
- 600kbps (down) for high-quality video and 1.2 Mbps (down) for HD video
- If you connect through audio only: 60-80kbps (down)
Supported operating systems:
- Mac OS X with MacOS 10.7 or later
- Windows 10, Windows 8 or 8.1, Windows 7
- Windows Vista with SP1 or later
- Windows XP with SP3 or later
- For a full list of supported systems, click here
Supported tablet and mobile devices:
- Surface PRO 2 running Win 8.1
- Surface PRO 3 running Win 10
- iOS and Android devices
- Blackberry devices
- Windows: IE 11+, Edge 12+, Firefox 27+, Chrome 30+
- Mac: Safari 7+, Firefox 27+, Chrome 30+
- Linux: Firefox 27+, Chrome 30+