[Note: This class has already run.]
When I first started working in book and magazine publishing, I had no experience or skill with online writing or SEO (search engine optimization).
Today, after 10+ years of writing for digital media, I see how many mistakes I made along the way. (There were a lot!) But I improved slowly over time.
Most writers tend to make the same mistakes I did—but they’re not hard to fix, once you learn the basics of how online search works, and how to pay attention to a few critical areas of your website, blog, and social media accounts.
Whether you’re an author, freelance writer, or blogger, it’s more important than ever to understand these issues, since it affects how and when people find you online. Otherwise, you can waste a lot of time developing a site or content that no one ever sees or acts on.
In partnership with Writer’s Digest, this Tuesday I’m teaching a 90-minute class on how to be a more effective in your online writing (for your website, blog, and social media) and how to grow your audience and traffic over the long term.
You’ll learn the principles of strong online writing combined with the proper use of keywords, to meaningfully increase how many people discover your work. We’ll cover the basic vocabulary and tools related to good SEO—all discussed in a way that anyone can understand, even if you don’t have a technical background.
We’ll also cover the basics of using Google Analytics combined with keyword research to improve your content strategy and help develop a long-term editorial calendar.
This session covers:
- The do’s and don’ts of writing for an online audience
- How to write post headlines that get clicks and shares
- The basics of SEO (search engine optimization) that anyone can understand
- How to effectively use categories and tags with blog content
- How and why to use images—and where to find them for free
- How to use insights from Google Analytics to improve your website or blog over time
- What free and paid tools are available to help you improve SEO
Who should attend this class?
- Anyone new to online writing or blogging
- Writers or authors interested in blogging
- Anyone who hasn’t seen a payoff in their online writing/blogging
- Freelance writers who are writing for online-only publications
- Authors who aren’t sure how to get more site traffic
- Creative professionals seeking to build traffic to their site
- Businesses interested in blogging to build site traffic
How does the class work?
- It’s a webinar-style class, broadcasted via the internet with live audio delivered through your computer speakers or over your telephone. The live webinar’s visual presentation is displayed directly from my computer to your computer screen.
- I will answer all questions asked during the session in real time, or in writing after the session if we run out of time.
- If you can’t make the live event, you can still register and get access to the recording of the event for a full year afterward.