Instagram Smarts for Writers
Learn best practices and how to use your time productively
Live on March 17, 2022, or watch recording
Writers who want to use Instagram as effectively as possible
Closed captions by Otter; transcript provided with recording
It’s a confusing environment for understanding and planning a long-term marketing strategy. But one thing that can help is focusing on a single platform that appeals to you, and then mastering it. For some writers, the most appealing and approachable platform today is Instagram.
Social media coach and successful self-publishing memoirist Ashleigh Renard increased her audience by 200x between 2020–2021, launched two paid newsletters, and sold more than 13,000 copies of her debut memoir. In this 90-minute class, she shows why putting Instagram at the center of your platform building strategy may be the smartest move a writer can make. She’ll teach the strategies that have worked for her and that she has replicated with her private clients.
This class will cover:
- leaping over the tech hurdle
- how to harness the power of Instagram’s creative features to easily and quickly create content
- how to find clarity for your message by studying comparable Instagram accounts
- how to build an audience of fans who will convert to book buyers
- the secret that makes the algorithm favor your content and encourages people to engage
- what to use for your profile picture, plus bio tips and how to use story highlights
- how to show your personality and your own experience
- why and how to pose questions for engagement, including the use of polls
- tips for frequency of posting (spoiler: you do not need to post every day or even every week)
- why and how to post videos as well as Reels (with a Reels demo)
- effective ways to grow your email newsletter list through Instagram use
You’ll also gain more granular advice on Instagram, such as shortcuts for using the app, so your writing and responding time is not swallowed by struggles with tech.
Who should take this class
- Writers who already have an Instagram account but feel like they could be using it in a more effective and strategic way
- Writers who want to replace scrolling with certainty about what to do (and the things you can ignore)
- Writers who are trying to secure an agent or publisher and still trying to determine which platforms are worth the time investment and learning curve
- Writers who have a book launch coming up this year
- Writers who can see what works for others on Instagram, but cannot figure out how their topic fits in
- Writers who want to gain traction on Instagram, but don’t like the video trends
- Writers who have spent time crafting an Instagram post they thought would be a hit, only to have it fall short of expectations (but you have no idea why!)
This class probably isn’t suited for:
- Experienced video creators who want advice on trends
- Writers who are looking for a quick follower boost in order to query next week
What’s included in all of Jane’s classes
How do I attend the live class?
This class uses Zoom webinar technology (see system requirements). You will join through your Internet-connected computer or mobile device. When you register, you will receive information via email on how to join the class. If you don’t receive it within 1 hour of registering, please contact us.
- When: Thursday, March 17, 2022
- Time: 1:00–2:30 p.m. Eastern / 10:00 a.m. Pacific
- Fee: $25
The webinar is broadcasted via the internet with live audio delivered through your computer or mobile device speakers. The visual presentation is displayed directly from the presenter’s computer to your computer screen. The Q&A is managed through a chat-style submission system with questions read and answered by the presenter for the entire class to hear.
Closed captions are provided during the live class. We use Zoom’s automated closed caption service (powered by Otter), which is about 80%+ accurate. We also use Otter AI to generate an unedited transcript, provided with the recording.
About the instructor
Through her candid presence on social media, Ashleigh Renard has built a committed following who tune in daily for her fresh, no-fuss advice on everything from keeping monogamy hot, to renegotiating a marriage, to getting kids to clean the house (because nothing makes her prouder than child labor). With savvy and plenty of humor, her down-to-earth voice tackles topics that are relatable to anyone struggling with the awkwardness of living in a meat suit at Earth School. She resides in Bucks County, Pennsylvania with her husband, their three children, a cat, and a dog. Laugh with her on Instagram @ashleighrenard.
Ashleigh’s advice was quick and actionable. Implementing her strategy, my reach exploded. It was like striking oil—suddenly an audience of people who’d read a book like mine were commenting, sharing, and engaging. Ashleigh is a magic flame-throwing strategy goddess. The pieces were there. She knew how to put them together and hand me the match.
Ashleigh Renard is an incredible mentor for writers looking to build their audience. After just one session, I increased my social media engagement tremendously—by incorporating her crystal clear instruction. Ashleigh is a brilliant creative and strategist. Bringing these together to help clients is her superpower.
Ashleigh demystified social media for me. I swear she could make anyone look good on video. She helped me get comfortable with being on camera and has a gift for making the daunting seem doable. With her guidance, the work of social media has become effective and fun.
All students receive the following
- Access to the live class. After roughly 75 minutes, Ashleigh will take questions during class using in-class chat/text. The class will end after roughly 90 minutes.
- A recording of the class—audio and video. This is especially helpful if you have a conflict with the class time or something comes up and you can’t make the session. Each registration comes with access to the archived version of the program and the materials for 30 days. You do not have to attend the live event to access the recordings.
- Presentation slides. All participants receive a copy of the slide presentation in PDF form.
- Rough transcript. We use Otter to create an automated transcript of the entire webinar, which we’ll share with you in addition to the audio and video recording.
Event Attendance & Anti-Harassment Policy
We strive to provide an environment where all present—whether attendee, presenter, or staff—can feel supported. In order to ensure a welcoming event, here is what we expect from all who participate.
- That the presenter and the presenter’s work be treated with respect by attendees and that all attendees treat each other with respect and a generosity of spirit.
- That attendees will refrain from harassment of any sort including (but not limited to) comments or questions of a racist, homophobic, sexist/sexual, or threatening nature. This includes actions that disrupt or interfere with anyone’s ability to participate. Offenders will be disconnected from the live event.