This class has ended. If you'd like to know when this class runs again, sign up for my periodic newsletter that keeps you updated on upcoming online classes.
How to connect with readers at your next book event or launch
It's time to come out from behind your laptop and meet your readers!
In this 75-minute webinar on Nov. 6 at 1 p.m. EST, you'll learn 10 tips for giving an outstanding reading, whether to a small gathering or an auditorium of listeners. Discover how to read work aloud with confidence, enjoy the limelight, and connect with readers. Taught by Gigi Rosenberg, an experienced and supportive public speaking coach, you'll gain practical tools for taking your writing into the world through stellar public readings.
This session will cover dealing with nerves, connecting with the audience, choosing the right section to read, warm-ups and having fun. You'll learn techniques you can use right away.
This live program answers questions like:
- What do I do to calm down when my heart is pounding in my ears?
- How do I manage a question & answer session?
- How do I pick which section to read?
- What else do I need to do besides read?
All participants receive a copy of Gigi’s Cheat Sheet, which lists in detail all the ways to prepare for your reading two weeks before, one week before, the morning of and right before the reading. She also includes the essential networking activities to accomplish in the days following your public performance.
Who should take this course:
All writers, including but not limited to:
- Nonfiction writers
This class is perfect for writers and authors looking to build confidence in presenting their writing to the world in public readings.
How does this webinar work?
This online class uses Zoom webinar technology. You will join through your Internet-connected computer or mobile device. When you register, you will receive information via email on how to join the class.
- When: Wednesday, November 6, 2019
- Time: 1 p.m. to 2:15 p.m. EST
- Fee: $20
The webinar is broadcasted via the internet with live audio delivered through your computer or mobile device speakers. The visual presentation is displayed directly from the presenter’s computer to your computer screen. The Q&A is managed through a chat-style submission system with questions read and answered by the presenter for the entire class to hear.
About the instructor
Gigi Rosenberg is an author, performer, artist coach and public speaking coach. She’s performed her dramatic monologues at Seattle’s On The Boards and off-Broadway at the United Solo Theatre Festival. The former editor of Professional Artist magazine, she’s been published by Publishers Weekly, Psychology Today, Seal Press and Poets & Writers. Gigi’s been a guest commentator on Oregon Public Broadcasting and is the author of Watson-Guptill’s The Artist’s Guide to Grant Writing, now in its sixth printing. Learn more at her website.
In just one hour of coaching with Gigi, I was well-informed about how to prepare physically, emotionally, and logistically for a successful public reading. Her supportive and insightful feedback about my style gave me clarity about my opportunities for improvement and confidence about my capacity to connect with an audience.
Coaching with Gigi was fun, fun, fun and super productive. I enjoyed having her as a cheerleader, bringing problems in I needed help with and the assignments to take away. It was exciting to put our minds together to reach my goals. Overall I feel more professional in my communications since working with Gigi.
I attended Gigi’s workshop at the Regional Arts & Culture Council. Since then, I’ve been awarded two fellowships, three professional development grants, and two project grants from local and state agencies. Gigi put all of that in motion for me a decade ago. Thank you so much!
You receive the following:
- Access to the 60-minute interactive class, with about 15 minutes for questions. Around the 1-hour mark, Gigi will take questions using in-class chat/text. The class will end after roughly 75 minutes.
- A recording of the class—audio and video. This is especially helpful if you have a conflict with the class time or something comes up and you can't make the session. Each registration comes with access to the archived version of the program and the materials for 30 days. You do not have to attend the live event to get a recording of the presentation.
- Cheat sheet. All participants receive a copy of Gigi’s Cheat Sheet, which lists in detail all the ways to prepare for your reading two weeks before, one week before, the morning of and right before the reading. She also includes the essential networking activities to accomplish in the days following your public performance.
Sorry, but refunds are not offered unless the webinar is canceled or rescheduled. All registrants receive access to the recording even if they are unable to attend. Have questions? You can contact us here.
System Requirements to Join the Webinar
We will be using Zoom webinar technology.
- An internet connection: broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE)
- Speakers: built-in or USB plug-in or wireless Bluetooth
- 600kbps (down) for high-quality video and 1.2 Mbps (down) for HD video
- If you connect through audio only: 60-80kbps (down)
Supported operating systems:
- Mac OS X with MacOS 10.7 or later
- Windows 10, Windows 8 or 8.1, Windows 7
- Windows Vista with SP1 or later
- Windows XP with SP3 or later
- For a full list of supported systems, click here
Supported tablet and mobile devices:
- Surface PRO 2 running Win 8.1
- Surface PRO 3 running Win 10
- iOS and Android devices
- Blackberry devices
- Windows: IE 11+, Edge 12+, Firefox 27+, Chrome 30+
- Mac: Safari 7+, Firefox 27+, Chrome 30+
- Linux: Firefox 27+, Chrome 30+