This class is now over and is unavailable for purchase. Sign up to receive announcements about upcoming classes.
Learn how to approach librarians, and what they look for when buying ebooks and audio books
Want to get your eBook or audiobook onto the virtual “shelves” of libraries nation or worldwide? Are there other ways to get an income from libraries for your content?
Yes there are. In this live 75-minute course on Friday, May 15, sales and marketing expert Amy Collins will go over the different ways to work with libraries that you may not be aware of.
With budgets so tight and travel so limited, more and more people are turning to libraries for their online catalogs and services.
At the same time, large publishing houses are charging libraries more and more for their books. Some are still limiting access to their bestsellers. This short-sighted group of publishers is making it easier for small to mid-sized publishers to get their feet in the door and get their books on the (virtual) shelves.
Amy walks you through the process of getting your book accepted. It starts with knowing what libraries want and what the librarians need. This session covers the different ways to get your content/story/book into the different electronic and audio distribution channels and then how to share that with the libraries.
Like anything else, it takes a little time, a little know-how, and a little luck, but we will go over every step you will need to take.
- Are libraries a good fit for your book?
- What librarians look for when buying ebooks and audio books
- Why and how to get your titles listed with the right distributors and wholesalers
- What materials you will need to show a buyer
Who should take this course:
- Self-published authors
- Authors who have started their own publishing enterprise
- Traditionally published authors
- Small press and publisher owners
Do I have to attend the live class?
No. Everyone who registers will get access to the recording. However, if you'd like to attend live, keep reading.
How do I attend the live class?
This class uses Zoom webinar technology. You will join through your Internet-connected computer or mobile device. When you register, you will receive information via email on how to join the class. If you don’t receive it within 10 minutes of registering, please contact us.
- When: Friday, May 15, 2020
- Time: 1–2:15 p.m. Eastern Time / 10 a.m. Pacific Time
- Fee: $25
The webinar is broadcasted via the internet with live audio delivered through your computer or mobile device speakers. The visual presentation is displayed directly from the presenter’s computer to your computer screen. The Q&A is managed through a chat-style submission system with questions read and answered by the presenter for the entire class to hear.
About the instructor
Amy Collins is the President of New Shelves Books, one of the largest book sales and marketing content providers in the US, as well as a USA Today and Wall Street Journal bestselling author. As a former book buyer for a chain of bookstores in New York and Sales Director for a large publishing company, she has spent her career working with Barnes & Noble, Target, Costco, Books-A-Million, Wal-Mart, and is a trusted expert, speaker, and recommended sales consultant for some of the largest book and library retailers and wholesalers in the publishing industry. In the last 20 years, Amy and her team have sold over 40 million books into the bookstore, library, and chain store market for small and midsized publishers.
She is on the national advisory board for IngramSpark and is a featured columnist for The Book Designer, Writer’s Digest and IBPA. She has taught and spoken at many of the publishing industry’s top festivals and conferences including Writers Digest Annual Conference, Publisher’s Weekly’s BookCon, Oklahoma Writer’s Conference, AAPS, Dublin Writers Conference, BAIPA, PALA, St. Louis Writer’s Conference, IBPA, Las Vegas Writers Conference, and many others.
Great information in an engaging format. So much new information. Super helpful. Great topic. She was knowledgeable and fun.
Amy is a walking encyclopedia of the book business and knows it inside and out. I have learned so much from Amy and absolutely trust her to deliver.
Amy Collins Marketing is the engine needed to pull your publishing dreams out of the filing cabinets and confidently into the public arena. She is also a mentor of the highest caliber. The combination of highly developed expertise and a no-nonsense approach gives her the insight and ability to help guide you toward success.
You receive the following:
- Access to the 75-minute interactive class. Around the 60-minute mark, Amy will take questions using in-class chat/text. The class will end after roughly 75 minutes.
- A recording of the class—audio and video. This is especially helpful if you have a conflict with the class time or something comes up and you can’t make the session. Each registration comes with access to the archived version of the program and the materials for 30 days. You do not have to attend the live event to get a recording of the presentation.
- Rough transcript. We use Otter to create an automated transcript of the entire webinar, which we’ll share with you in addition to the audio and video recording.
- Sample pitch materials and other resources. Amy will give you sample emails and scripts to help you connect with libraries; a list of distribution options to match your particular needs; a sample template CANVA sales sheet to use for your own book; and a group of online tools to help you track and market your books as they grow in the library market.
Sorry, but refunds are not offered unless the webinar is canceled or rescheduled. All registrants receive access to the recording even if they are unable to attend. Have questions? You can contact us here.
System Requirements to Join the Webinar
We will be using Zoom webinar technology.
- An internet connection: broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE)
- Speakers: built-in or USB plug-in or wireless Bluetooth
- 600kbps (down) for high-quality video and 1.2 Mbps (down) for HD video
- If you connect through audio only: 60-80kbps (down)
Supported operating systems:
- Mac OS X with MacOS 10.7 or later
- Windows 10, Windows 8 or 8.1, Windows 7
- Windows Vista with SP1 or later
- Windows XP with SP3 or later
- For a full list of supported systems, click here
Supported tablet and mobile devices:
- Surface PRO 2 running Win 8.1
- Surface PRO 3 running Win 10
- iOS and Android devices
- Blackberry devices
- Windows: IE 11+, Edge 12+, Firefox 27+, Chrome 30+
- Mac: Safari 7+, Firefox 27+, Chrome 30+
- Linux: Firefox 27+, Chrome 30+