Identify & Find Your Ideal Readers
A step-by-step process to learn who your readers are, where to find them, and how to engage them
Live on Sept. 7, 2022, or watch recording
Writers who need and want to learn marketing fundamentals
Closed captions by Otter; transcript provided with recording
Many writers find it difficult—if not impossible—to neatly define who their ideal readers may be, and consider how they may find them. The result is writers feeling closed off to how to effectively market their books. In this online class, Dan Blank will teach you how to understand who the ideal readers are for your writing, via the following steps:
- Defining your key messages so you know exactly how to talk about what you write and why
- Crafting audience personas to clearly define your ideal reader as a real person, not a vague set of demographics
- Conducting marketplace research to identify where you may find these ideal readers, who reaches them, and what grabs their attention
- Using this information to set your own strategies for growing your author platform and market your books
This is the system that Dan uses day in and day out with writers, helping them to find a sense of clarity and progress in how they share their writing. If you are a writer who struggles to understand who your ideal readers are and where to find them, then this workshop is for you. The goal: finally have a clear sense of who your ideal readers are, and pathways to find and engage them.
Who should take this class
- Beginning to experienced writers who want to identify effective ways to reach their ideal audience
- Novelists, nonfiction authors, memoirists, essayists, and any other kind of writer
- Those pursuing any publishing path, be it traditional, self-publishing, or hybrid
- Those who have a book launch coming up, or those who may not be launching a book for years
- Writers who are new or experienced with online marketing
This class isn’t suited for
- Someone who is looking for a “secret” method that is quick and easy
- Writers who aren’t prepared to spend time on marketing and promotion
- Writers who want to delegate or offload all marketing to someone else
What’s included in all of Jane’s classes
How do I attend the live class?
This class uses Zoom webinar technology (see system requirements). You will join through your Internet-connected computer or mobile device. When you register, you will receive information via email on how to join the class. If you don’t receive it within 1 hour of registering, please contact us.
- When: Wednesday, Sept. 7, 2022
- Time: 1:00–2:15 p.m. Eastern / 10:00 a.m. Pacific
- Fee: $25
The webinar is broadcasted via the internet with live audio delivered through your computer or mobile device speakers. The visual presentation is displayed directly from the presenter’s computer to your computer screen. The Q&A is managed through a chat-style submission system with questions read and answered by the presenter for the entire class to hear.
Closed captions are provided during the live class. We use Zoom’s automated closed caption service (powered by Otter), which is about 80%+ accurate. We also use Otter AI to generate an unedited transcript, provided with the recording.
About the instructor
Dan Blank is the founder of WeGrowMedia, where he helps writers develop their author platforms, connect with readers, and launch their books. He is the author of the book Be the Gateway: A Practical Guide to Sharing Your Creative Work and Engaging an Audience.
He has worked with thousands of writers, and amazing organizations who support creative people such as Penguin Random House, Sesame Workshop, Hachette Book Group, Workman Publishing, J. Walter Thompson, Abrams Books, Writers House, The Kenyon Review, Writer’s Digest, Library Journal, and many others.
Dan’s work has been featured by Poets & Writers magazine, the National Endowment for the Arts, Professional Artist magazine, and 99u. You can find Dan on his blog or on Twitter and Instagram (@DanBlank).
Dan blends his years of experience in the publishing industry with a calm and engaging style, helping authors to develop their voice and reach readers more effectively.
Joanna Penn, New York Times bestselling author
Dan Blank is a savvy strategist whose insights really helped me to stay much better connected to my readers and spread the word about my books.
Joseph Finder, New York Times bestselling author
Dan made connecting with readers—aka marketing—a joy instead of a chore. He changed the way I look at the business side of writing for good.
KJ Dell’Antonia, New York Times bestselling author of The Chicken Sisters
All students receive the following
- Access to the live class. After roughly 60 minutes, the instructor will take questions during class using in-class chat/text. The class will end after roughly 75 minutes.
- A recording of the class—audio and video. This is especially helpful if you have a conflict with the class time or something comes up and you can’t make the session. Each registration comes with access to the archived version of the program and the materials for 30 days. You do not have to attend the live event to access the recordings.
- Presentation slides. All registrants receive a copy of the slide presentation in PDF form.
- Rough transcript. We use Otter to create an automated transcript of the entire webinar, which we’ll share with you in addition to the audio and video recording.
Event Attendance & Anti-Harassment Policy
We strive to provide an environment where all present—whether attendee, presenter, or staff—can feel supported. In order to ensure a welcoming event, here is what we expect from all who participate.
- That the presenter and the presenter’s work be treated with respect by attendees and that all attendees treat each other with respect and a generosity of spirit.
- That attendees will refrain from harassment of any sort including (but not limited to) comments or questions of a racist, homophobic, sexist/sexual, or threatening nature. This includes actions that disrupt or interfere with anyone’s ability to participate. Offenders will be disconnected from the live event.