A 3-Part Process for Building Your Confidence as a Professional Writer
For most writers, the path to publication and professional success is littered with frustrations, setbacks, and disappointments. Experienced writers must be willing to navigate roadblocks like rejection letters, radio silence, and the persistent uncertainty of the creative process in order to follow their inspiration and realize their vision.
One of the biggest challenges experienced writers face is self-doubt—the voice inside their heads telling them they can’t succeed. Whether you’re feeling like a fraud, questioning your talent and qualifications, or mired in fear as you contemplate your next chapter (literally or career-wise), it can feel impossible to do what you must to create the future you want. These mindset issues will sabotage your ability to show up to the page, market yourself consistently, or share new and meaningful work like the professional you know you can be.
As the expression goes, “Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.” This class will give you the tools to activate your courage to continue creating work that matters to you and growing your writing career. You’ll learn a three-part process for transcending self-doubt and building real confidence, then begin to apply it through hands-on exercises to help you move toward your professional goals.
As a writer, you already have many of the skills you need to cultivate resilience and strength-train your mindset; this class will help you organize and amplify your approach so you create consistently, bravely, and in alignment with your dreams.
In this 75-minute online class (which is recorded if you can’t attend live), you’ll learn:
- The common mistake that creative professionals make when struggling with self-confidence
- Why you don’t need confidence to transcend self-doubt (and what you need instead)
- A three-part framework for building real confidence while moving toward your goals
Who should take this class
- Experienced writers working toward publication and feeling road-blocked by rejection
- Writers who hold back from sharing their work or marketing themselves because they feel like imposters
- Writers who keep starting and stopping on the path to publication because they question their talent and qualifications
- Published writers struggling with self-doubt as they debut new content
- Published writers getting stuck, discouraged or fearful as they pivot toward new genres or audiences
Do I have to attend the live class?
No. Everyone who registers will get access to the recording. However, if you’d like to attend live, keep reading.
How do I attend the live class?
This class uses Zoom webinar technology. You will join through your Internet-connected computer or mobile device. When you register, you will receive information via email on how to join the class. If you don’t receive it within 10 minutes of registering, please contact us.
- When: Thursday, July 16, 2020
- Time: 1 p.m.–2:15 p.m. Eastern Time / 10 a.m. Pacific Time
- Fee: $20
The webinar is broadcasted via the internet with live audio delivered through your computer or mobile device speakers. The visual presentation is displayed directly from the presenter’s computer to your computer screen. The Q&A is managed through a chat-style submission system with questions read and answered by the presenter for the entire class to hear.
Attention Mac users: If you experience trouble registering, paying, or joining the class, Safari might be the problem; please try using a different browser such as Google Chrome or Firefox.
About the instructor
Elizabeth Hope Derby blends coaching, strategy, and collaborative copywriting to help creative professionals own their power, share their genius, and create standout businesses and lives.
She began her career at a Fortune 500 company, creating marketing concepts for brands like Febreze, Glade, and Bath & Body Works. Since 2012, Elizabeth has worked with coaches, consultants, and creatives to help them communicate their value, build personal brands, and create the legacy content they want to be known for. Ninety-nine percent of her past clients say working together boosted their clarity and confidence.
An award-winning writer and newspaper columnist, Elizabeth has interviewed hundreds of entrepreneurs and artists, including David Duchovny, Lord Huron, and the creator of Beyonce’s Super Bowl dress, to understand how they create meaningful work in the world. Her articles and essays have been featured in USA Today, The College of William & Mary Alumni Magazine, and Cricket Magazine, among others.
Elizabeth’s teachings saved me from the burnout that comes with starting a creative business and brought the joy of doing what I love back to the forefront. I feel a confidence level that I’ve never had while working for myself.
I’m significantly happier and less stressed out than I was when we began working together. My confidence has increased and I’ve really come into my own in terms of being able to stand in my expertise.
Caitlin O’Brient Bauer
I feel more confident in myself and the path that I am on. I feel more confident expressing my heart and soul on paper and that I do have a message worth sharing. I’ve also learned to say no and create healthy loving boundaries to create more space for myself and my creative pursuits.
You’ll receive the following
- Access to the 75-minute interactive class. After 60–65 minutes, Elizabeth will take questions using in-class chat/text. The class will end after roughly 75 minutes.
- A recording of the class—audio and video. This is especially helpful if you have a conflict with the class time or something comes up and you can’t make the session. Each registration comes with access to the archived version of the program and the materials for 30 days. You do not have to attend the live event to get a recording of the presentation.
- Presentation slides. All participants receive a copy of the slide presentation in PDF form.
- Rough transcript. We use Otter to create an automated transcript of the entire webinar, which we’ll share with you in addition to the audio and video recording.
- A worksheet to help you kickstart your courage and create a customized action plan for building confidence as you move toward your goals
Sorry, but refunds are not offered unless the webinar is canceled or rescheduled. All registrants receive access to the recording even if they are unable to attend. Have questions? You can contact us here.
System requirements to join the webinar
We will be using Zoom webinar technology.
- An internet connection: broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE)
- Speakers: built-in or USB plug-in or wireless Bluetooth
- 600kbps (down) for high-quality video and 1.2 Mbps (down) for HD video
- If you connect through audio only: 60-80kbps (down)
Supported operating systems:
- Mac OS X with MacOS 10.7 or later
- Windows 10, Windows 8 or 8.1, Windows 7
- Windows Vista with SP1 or later
- Windows XP with SP3 or later
- For a full list of supported systems, click here
Supported tablet and mobile devices:
- Surface PRO 2 running Win 8.1
- Surface PRO 3 running Win 10
- iOS and Android devices
- Blackberry devices
- Windows: IE 11+, Edge 12+, Firefox 27+, Chrome 30+
- Mac: Safari 7+, Firefox 27+, Chrome 30+
- Linux: Firefox 27+, Chrome 30+