Last week, I was delighted to be a guest on Stephen Campbell’s podcast, The Author Biz.
Some of the topics we cover in our 50-minute chat:
- Why I usually discourage authors from blogging
- My perspective on building author platform
- Whether it’s important to build a Facebook following before you publish your first book (in short, no)
- Why building a direct connection with your readers is an investment in your future sales and career growth
- The challenge of measuring sales and marketing results with social media
Jane Friedman (@JaneFriedman) has 20 years of experience in the publishing industry, with expertise in digital media strategy for authors and publishers. She is the publisher of The Hot Sheet, the essential newsletter on the publishing industry for authors, and was named Publishing Commentator of the Year by Digital Book World in 2019.
In addition to being a columnist for Publishers Weekly, Jane is a professor with The Great Courses, which released her 24-lecture series, How to Publish Your Book. Her book for creative writers, The Business of Being a Writer (University of Chicago Press), received a starred review from Library Journal.
Jane speaks regularly at conferences and industry events such as BookExpo America, Digital Book World, and the AWP Conference, and has served on panels with the National Endowment for the Arts and the Creative Work Fund. Find out more.