When writers are trying to build platform—in order to land a book deal—they often ask me questions like:
- How many Twitter followers do I need?
- How many Facebook likes should I have?
- How many website or blog visits are required?
- How many people need to be on my email newsletter list?
Every agent or publisher will throw out a different number to such questions, and usually that number is made up. What’s even more frustrating: building a platform only to land a book deal usually ends up short circuiting. (Here’s why.)
A smarter and more strategic author should evaluate their platform strength on three levels:
- ability to reach new readers,
- ability to engage existing readers, and
- ability to mobilize super fans.